Key Verse: 1 Corinthians 12:8
- Is it natural?
A word of knowledge is a supernatural manifestation of the Holy Spirit. All the gifts of the spirit are supernatural. Not one of them is natural. If one of them were, then they would all have to be natural. However, since one is supernatural, then they all must be supernatural.
It’s also not knowledge of or about the bible. (2 Timothy 2:15 – Study)
It’s not indicative of how close your relationship is with God. (Eli and Samuel)
A word of knowledge brings revelation, and that revelation is not about future events — it’s present or past related. The word of wisdom, on the other hand, reveals plans and purposes concerning the future.
- The word of knowledge operated throughout the Old Testament.
i. Samuel received a word of Knowledge about Saul’s donkeys (1 Samuel 9:3-20). This word brought about the recovery of lost or stolen property.
ii. Samuel received a word of knowledge about where Saul was hiding. (1 Samuel 10:22) God revealed where to discover an individual.
iii. Elijah received a word of knowledge during his depression. (1 Kings 19:18) This word brought enlightenment and encouragement to Elijah.
iv. Elisha received a word of knowledge about his servant Gehazi. (2 Kings 5:21-26) The word of knowledge was used to expose hypocrisy, theft, and lies.
v. Elisha received a word of knowledge about the enemies’ plans. (2 Kings 8:12) This word of knowledge was given to warn a king and expose the enemy’s plan of destruction.
- The Word of knowledge operated throughout the New Testament.
- Jesus gave a word of knowledge to the Woman at the Well. (John 4:7-26). He used it to convince her of her need for salvation.
- Peter was given a word of knowledge regarding Ananias and Sapphira. (Acts 5:1-4) This word was given to expose corruption and hypocrisy.
- John received a word of knowledge on the Isle of Patmos. (Revelation 1:10-20) God revealed the condition of the churches to John.
- Ananias received a word of knowledge about Saul. (Acts 9:11-12)
- Peter received a word of knowledge about three men. (Acts 10:9-19)
- The word of knowledge still operates in the modern church.
- The gifts operate as He wills, not as we will. (1 Corinthians 12:11)
- The gift of knowledge operates through inward revelation, dreams, visions, a message from angels, and through a word of prophecy.
- The gifts operated in the Old Testament (except tongues and interpretation of tongues) then through the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. After the Day of Pentecost, where tongues and interpretation of tongues were manifested, the believers were then empowered to operate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
6 ways the Word of Knowledge blesses the church.
- The church is cleansed (sanitized)
- The church is comforted
- The church is cheered up.
- The church recoups lost possessions.
- The church claims victory over the enemy.
- The church champions Jesus!
God’s people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.
If we ask God for knowledge we will give it.