Key Verses – I Chronicles 4:9-10; Numbers 6:24-26; Proverbs 10:22; Genesis 12:1-3
- What is the blessing? Genesis 12:1-3
Blessing = (Barak) bless another, commend, i.e., speak words invoking divine favor, with the intent that the object will have favorable circumstances or state at a future time; thank for greatness/goodness, i.e., speak words of the excellence of an object, or it can mean a bountiful gift!
Webster’s define the blessing as…(before 12th century) 1 a :the act or words of one that blesses b :approval, encouragement 2 :a thing conducive to happiness or welfare
Abraham received a blessing from God.
1. Unto a land that I show you (Genesis 12:1)
2. I will make you a great nation (Genesis 12:2)
3. I will bless you (Genesis 12:2)
4. I will make your name great (Genesis 12:2)
5. You will be a blessing (Genesis 12:3)
6. I will bless those that bless you (Genesis 12:3)
7. All the families of the earth will be blessed by you (Genesis 12:3)
Abraham’s blessings were recognizable by all those around him. He became wealthy and powerful. Even Abrahams sons noticed it, they saw it as something that could be passed on.
The blessing of the Lord is a spiritual inheritance. It’s God establishing favor upon your life. It’s the hand of the Lord upon your life, where your life begins to become flourishing and peaceful.
- That You Would Bless Me Indeed! 1 Chronicles 4:9-10
- From Dysfunction to Significance (Pain to prayer)
- 4 prayers (requests) in the prayer
1. He prayed that God would bless Him
2. He prayed that God would enlarge His territory
3. He prayed that God’s Hand would be upon Him
4. He prayed that God would keep Him from Evil
- God is a blessing God (Hebrews 11:6; 2 Corinthians 9:8)
He rewards those that diligently seek Him!
During the depression years a Texan by the name of Yates owned a sheep ranch. But he just wasn’t making enough to pay the principal & interest on the mortgage, so he was in danger of losing his ranch.
With little money for clothes or food, his family (like many others at that time) had to live on a government subsidy.
Then one day a seismographic crew from an oil company came into the area & told him there might be oil on his land. They asked permission to drill a wildcat well, & he signed a lease with them. That well came in at 80,000 barrels a day.
Many subsequent wells were more than twice as large. And Mr. Yates owned them all. The day he bought the land he had received the oil & mineral rights too. Yet for years he’d been barely surviving on welfare.
A multimillionaire living in poverty! His problem? Even though he owned all the mineral rights on his land, he just didn’t know the oil was there.