Over the past few months, there has been an overarching theme in my preaching: Purpose!
Time, and time again, you will hear, “We are a Church on Purpose.” What does that mean? We state that we are a church on purpose across the aisle, across the street, and around the world. Although, before you can go across the aisle, across the street, or around the world, you must know your own purpose, and who you are in Christ.
“Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.” Colossians 3:9-11 The New King James Version (NKJV)
See, when you come to Christ, the old man is no longer, and there is a new man. Now, you have to get to know the new man. You are suddenly on this quest to find out, and become aware of, who you are now. Having self-awareness is one of the most important pieces of information that you can have.
The biggest battle we all fight is the battle to keep us operating in the old man (our old way of life). The enemy of your soul desires for you to operate as you always have. But, you must be aware, be sober, and be vigilant (1 Peter 5:8) that the enemy doesn’t keep you in the old man, while Christ has given you a new man.
The Dictionary uses many words to describe awareness: to have knowledge, to be mindful, to act with vigilance, be conscious, and on alert.
Now, if you put the word “self” ahead of those definitions:
• Self-knowledge – knowing who you are.
• Self-vigilance – knowing what makes you tick and what ticks you off.
• Self-conscious – knowing how you come across to others.
• Self-alertness – knowing how to maintain your spiritual, emotional, and physical condition.
On my quest in knowing God, I have found that the deeper I know God, the better I understand who I am. Once I find out who I am in the spiritual, I am putting off the old man. Why would I want to keep living as a defeated man when I am a victorious man?
Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 15:10(a), “But whatever I am now, it is all because God poured out his special favor on me—and not without results.” New Living Translation
God poured out His special favor on us as well, thus creating us to be what He desires for us to be. Below, you will find a list of statements and Scriptures declaring who God created you to be. You can declare them over your life as well.
This is who I am:
• I am complete in Him Who is the Head of all principality and power. – Colossians 2:10
• I am alive with Christ. – Ephesians 2:5
• I am free from the law of sin and death. – Romans 8:2
• I am far from oppression, and fear does not come near me. – Isaiah 54:14
• I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me. – 1 John 5:18
• I am holy and without blame before Him in love. – Ephesians 1:4; 1 Peter 1:16
• I have the mind of Christ. – 1 Corinthians 2:16; Philippians 2:5
• I have the peace of God that passes all understanding. – Philippians 4:7
• I have the Greater One living in me; greater is He Who is in me than he who is in the world. – 1 John 4:4
• I have received the gift of righteousness and reign as a king in life by Jesus Christ. – Romans 5:17
• I have received the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Jesus, the eyes of my understanding being enlightened. – Ephesians 1:17-18
• I have received the power of the Holy Spirit to lay hands on the sick and see them recover, to cast out demons, to speak with new tongues. I have power over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means harm me. – Mark 16:17-18; Luke 10:17-19
• I have put off the old man and have put on the new man, which is renewed in the knowledge after the image of Him Who created me. – Colossians 3:9-10
• I have given, and it is given to me; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, men give into my bosom. – Luke 6:38
• I have no lack for my God supplies all of my need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:19
• I can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one with my shield of faith. – Ephesians 6:16
• I can do all things through Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:13
• I show forth the praises of God Who has called me out of darkness into His marvelous light. – 1 Peter 2:9
• I am God’s child for I am born again of the incorruptible seed of the Word of God, which lives and abides forever. – 1 Peter 1:23
• I am God’s workmanship, created in Christ unto good works. – Ephesians 2:10
• I am a new creature in Christ. – 2 Corinthians 5:17
• I am a spirit being alive to God – Romans 6:11; 1 Thessalonians 5:23
• I am a believer, and the light of the Gospel shines in my mind. – 2 Corinthians 4:4
• I am a doer of the Word and blessed in my actions. – James 1:22, 25
• I am a joint-heir with Christ. – Romans 8:17
• I am more than a conqueror through Him Who loves me. – Romans 8:37
• I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony. – Revelation 12:11
• I am a partaker of His divine nature. – 2 Peter 1:3-4
• I am an ambassador for Christ. – 2 Corinthians 5:20
• I am part of a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a purchased people. – 1 Peter 2:9
• I am the righteousness of God in Jesus Christ. – 2 Corinthians 5:21
• I am the temple of the Holy Spirit; I am not my own. – 1 Corinthians 6:19
• I am the head and not the tail; I am above only and not beneath. – Deuteronomy 28:13
• I am the light of the world. – Matthew 5:14
• I am His elect, full of mercy, kindness, humility, and longsuffering. – Romans 8:33; Colossians 3:12
• I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood. – Ephesians 1:7
• I am delivered from the power of darkness and translated into God’s kingdom. – Colossians 1:13
• I am redeemed from the curse of sin, sickness, and poverty. – Deuteronomy 28:15-68; Galatians 3:13
• I am firmly rooted, built up, established in my faith and overflowing with gratitude. – Colossians 2:7
• I am called of God to be the voice of His praise. – Psalm 66:8; 2 Timothy 1:9
• I am healed by the stripes of Jesus. – Isaiah 53:5; 1 Peter 2:24
• I am raised up with Christ and seated in heavenly places. – Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 2:12
• I am greatly loved by God. – Romans 1:7; Ephesians 2:4; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4
• I am strengthened with all might according to His glorious power. – Colossians 1:11
• I am submitted to God, and the devil flees from me because I resist him in the Name of Jesus. – James 4:7
• I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward. – Philippians 3:14
• For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power, love, and a sound mind. – 2 Timothy 1:7
• It is not I who live, but Christ lives in me. – Galatians 2:20
All of these Scriptures and statements completely obliterate the old man. Therefore, by coming to know Christ, you get to know who you are in Christ. The battle is to believe and to operate as that new man.
May you live as who Jesus says you are, and Be Aware of Who You Are!
You must log in to post a comment.